Friday, March 14, 2014

Jesus in the Morning


There are many things that I wanted to make sure to do with our children. We have a one year old right now and we have made it a point to read a devotional every morning. I am now starting to see the benefits of it. Every morning we make it part of our routine to read his morning devotional. Yes I know I am a stay at home mom and I do realize that when we finally start our day everyone one else in the world has already dropped their kids off at school and have gone to work. But I did work for 5 months when Liam was first born and I did manage to fit his devotional in every morning.

Whatever you start your day out with is your priority. This convicts my heart as I am typing this because the first thing I do (even before getting out of bed) is check Facebook. Facebook is obviously my priority so I commit right now to make Jesus my priority. I will not make him the second most important thing but my first. I will do my personal devotion before Facebook.
When I first started devotions with Liam he was about a week old and he would just sleep through them and he had no idea what was going on but I do believe that I am feeding his spirit not just his mind, but even if that wasn't true the point is to make it a routine to put Jesus first.
Liam is one and half now. We still do them every morning and no, he probably still doesn't gain biblical knowledge but he knows that we need to read that blue book before we doing anything (eating is what he really wants to do). He knows that those words in that blue book must be important if he can't have his banana until he reads it.
Saturdays we vary from our routine a little bit. Its the only day I let Liam watch cartoons mostly so he can watch them in bed with me and I can go back to sleep (I know, I know, great parenting). One saturday he must have been hungry because he got off the bed walked out of the room and came back with his devotional book. I helped him climb on the bed, then he closed the laptop that was currently playing Justin Time (We LOVE Justin Time) and threw the book at me as if to say READ IT LADY ITS TIME TO START OUR DAY!! I love that he knows that we can't start our day until we read it.



And yes I am human too and there are times when I have tried to pass up devo time and Liam has totally challenged me on the issue. If I say "Come on Liam lets eat, we have to go" he will run into his room and grab his book. How do you tell a one-year old "I'm sorry we don't have time for Jesus today"? But yet we tell Jesus himself everyday when we pass up spending time with him. When we continually make if the second most important thing in our day.


Here is the devo we use. Yes it says GoodNIGHT but we use it in the morning. I love it!! It is great for all ages. We have already gone through it a few times. Let me know if you have a better one!!

When you are faithful to read the word of the Lord to your child I really believe it changes them even before they are able to "comprehend" it. I feel like Liam is who he is because of the Word that is constantly being poured into him. (We may need to up the Word intake now that we are approaching the "terrible twos"). I know he feels something when we read it because even though we have a million book (yes I am over exaggerating, but not by much. I used to be a kindergarten teacher) I find him alone in his room "reading" his blue book. And there really isn't any pictures in this book so I know he just loves it because he feels Jesus.
Don't you want to feel Jesus? Don't you want your kids to feel Jesus? Then lets start our day with him.

One of those moments I found him "reading" his book about Jesus 

No comments:

Post a Comment